Discovering the Inner Beauty of Serving Others

Personally, I found "Create Meaning by Helping Others" very interesting and thought-provoking. Like the author, throughout my life thus far, I always find the enjoyment in helping other people. However, most of the time, I realized I was seeking for validation instead of the potential difference I could make in other people's lives. This article opened my eyes to a new, different level. I finally see things in a different perspectives. First of all, I've learned that serving is not only physically helping others, but mentally supporting them by helping them gain insights into their lives and be the best version of themselves. Serving others not only help the other people's lives to become a better place, but it also makes one's life more meaningful and happy.
Serving others also plays a vital role in leadership. When we become a responsible for others, we no longer focus only on ourselves. Even though self-care and self-understanding are very important for every type of leader, caring for our own needs without considering about others is a huge mistake. As leaders, we can serve the people around us in several ways:
1. Create awareness for [others] about how beautiful they are.
2. Get people to be curious about their lives.
3. Share the passion your talent brings.
4. Believe in yourself and show others it's possible.
About Family Matters, at first, I actually did not really like it. I still remember when I first met my mentee, she looked very unhappy and unenthusiastic to start our tutoring session. We went through our first reading and I found out that her reading level was not as high as many of her peers. I was very worried because she did not seem to enjoy it, and I was not sure on how I should help her. Then, I spend the last 30 minutes to just chat and get to know her more. I asked her many random questions and she started to open up. She told me about her family, her favorite Disney's movies, and even the guy in her class that she didn't like. After that day, we worked much better together. She finished her homework early, and as a reward, I gave her ten minutes in the end of our session to play games or watch youtube videos. As for now, she is gradually improving in her reading as well as math's skills. Even though there is still quite a lot we need to work on, I am very glad that the two of us bonded so well. I am also very happy that I am able to be a part of her life, and hopefully become a positive influence on her for her later.
No comments:
Post a Comment